- Olympiacos 3-1 Anderlecht: Saviola brace helps Greek Champions clinch progress
- Greek Cup Preview: Super League clubs eye progress
- Greece await World Rankings, final play-off seedings
- Greece 2-0 Liechtenstein: Play-offs beckon for Greece despite Liechtenstein win
- Greeks in Europe: Rough start to Champions League group stage for Greeks Abroad
- Olympiacos focused on positives after PSG defeat
- Olympiacos 1-4 Paris St. Germain: Motta brace breaks Olympiacos’ hearts
- Greece 1-0 Latvia: Salpingidis keeps Greece on track
Platanias 1-2 OFI: OFI take Cretan Derby
- Updated: October 23, 2012
A goal and an assist from Mirnes Sisic paved the way for OFI to take full spoils from Monday night’s Cretan Derby as OFI edged past local rivals Platanias 2-1 at the Dimotiko Stadio Perivolia.
With Platanias on a hot start to begin their inaugural season in the Greek Super League, OFI was always going to be in tough against the newly promoted side. Meanwhile, OFI’s two-match winless skid had seen the Heraklion-based club fall off the pace of a play-off berth.
Sisic had been a big part of OFI’s early season success, however, as the Slovenian midfielder managed impressive performances against the like of AEK and PAOK already this campaign. It took about 33 minutes for Sisic to come through again for OFI as the visitors pulled ahead thanks to a stunning solo-effort from the Slovenian international. Sisic collected a pass from Anastasios Papazoglou in space before turning his defender and curling a rocketed effort inside the far post of the Platanias net.
Boasting one of the best defenses in the league with just four goals conceded heading into the derby, Platanias appeared somewhat stunned to be trailing at half-time, but a quick response from the home side saw them level through Ilias Anastasakos shortly after the restart. The former Atromitos striker made the most of some miscommunication between OFI ‘keeper Stefanos Gounaridis and his defense as he tucked home an easy finish from close range.
Despite the lapse, OFI would make manager Nikos Anastopoulos proud ten minutes from time. Another bit of brilliant play from Sisic this time saw the Slovenian pick out team-mate Andreas Lampropoulos inside the box and the second half substitute returned the faith shown in him by his manager with a blistering strike past a stranded Fotis Kipouros.
The full-time whistle sealed full points for OFI in the first edition of this version of the Cretan derby in the Greek top flight. OFI will look to carry the momentum into next week’s visit from Panathinaikos, while Platanias will look to rebound from just their second loss of the season when they travel to AEK next Sunday.