- Greek Cup Preview: Super League clubs eye progress
- Greece await World Rankings, final play-off seedings
- Greece 2-0 Liechtenstein: Play-offs beckon for Greece despite Liechtenstein win
- Greeks in Europe: Rough start to Champions League group stage for Greeks Abroad
- Olympiacos focused on positives after PSG defeat
- Olympiacos 1-4 Paris St. Germain: Motta brace breaks Olympiacos’ hearts
- Greece 1-0 Latvia: Salpingidis keeps Greece on track
- Arsenal keeping tabs on Olympiacos striker Kostas Mitroglou
Katsouranis joins Greece’s Century Club
- Updated: October 17, 2012
Despite having his contract terminated at club side Panathinaikos, Kostas Katsouranis remained in the Greece squad for this week’s international break and on Tuesday night the 33-year-old reached a milestone on the international level as he made his 100th appearance in a Greece shirt.
A 1-0 win over Slovakia in Bratislava certainly stole the headlines, but Katsouranis became just the fourth Greece player to make a century of appearances for the Ethniki just days after team-mate Giorgos Karagounis set the all-time Greece record for appearances.
Perhaps it was fitting that Katsouranis played a vital role for Greece in the midfield. Despite a pitiful all-around performance from the Greeks, Katsouranis was part of a shock moment of brilliance against the run of play when Dimitris Salpingidis netted the winner shortly after the hour mark.
It was Katsouranis’ hustle to chase down a Slovakian clearance that initiated the scoring opportunity before a pin-point pass from Katsouranis allowed Salpingidis to nick a shock winner in Bratislava.
While Katsouranis will need to sort out his playing situation on the club level as the Greek National Team puts its qualifying campaign for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil on hold ahead of the winter break, the 33-year-old can likely expect to add on to his appearances for the Ethniki.
Most-capped Greek internationals
(bold denotes active players)
1. Giorgos Karagounis, 122 (1999-present)
2. Theodoros Zagorakis, 120 caps (1994-2007)
3. Angelos Basinas 100, (1999-2009)
4. Kostas Katsouranis 100, (2003-present)
5. Stratos Apostolakis 96, (1986-1998)
6. Antonis Nikopolidis 90, (1999-2008)
7. Angelos Charisteas 88, (2001-present)
8. Dimitris Saravakos 78, (1982-1994)
9. Stelios Giannakopoulos 77, (1997-2009)
10. Anastassios Mitropoulos 77, (1978-1994)