- Olympiacos 3-1 Anderlecht: Saviola brace helps Greek Champions clinch progress
- Greek Cup Preview: Super League clubs eye progress
- Greece await World Rankings, final play-off seedings
- Greece 2-0 Liechtenstein: Play-offs beckon for Greece despite Liechtenstein win
- Greeks in Europe: Rough start to Champions League group stage for Greeks Abroad
- Olympiacos focused on positives after PSG defeat
- Olympiacos 1-4 Paris St. Germain: Motta brace breaks Olympiacos’ hearts
- Greece 1-0 Latvia: Salpingidis keeps Greece on track
Olympiacos land Diakite, lose out on Del Piero
- Updated: September 4, 2012
Olympiacos have added one final piece to their roster after announcing the acquisition of Drissa Diakite on a free transfer from Ligue 1 side Nice. Meanwhile, the Piraeus club was also in the sweepstakes to land Alessandro Del Piero, but despite talks between the Greek Champions and the Italian player’s agent, the former Juventus star won’t be making the move across the Adriatic.
The Greek press was buzzing on Monday as Olympiacos was reportedly ready to land what is usually referred to as a “BAM” signing by Greek newspapers. With Del Piero’s talks with Australian side Sydney FC slowing down just enough, Olympiacos was named among the sides to be interested in signing the Italian forward.
Del Piero’s brother, Stefano, was said to be in talks with Darko Kovacevic among others but ultimately couldn’t strike a deal with the Erythrolefki.
The club, despite disappointing some fans with the failed attempt to land Del Piero, will be satisfied knowing they managed to add some depth to their back-line following Diakite’s arrival.
The Malian defender spent well over half a decade at Nice but after his contract ran out at the club this past June, the 27-year-old decided to move elsewhere.
A press release on Olympiacos’ official website confirmed the signing. “Olympiacos announces the signing of Drissa Diakite on a contract for 1 +1 years.”
Diakite was also included in Olympiacos’ roster for the UEFA Champions League group stage.