- Greek Cup Preview: Super League clubs eye progress
- Greece await World Rankings, final play-off seedings
- Greece 2-0 Liechtenstein: Play-offs beckon for Greece despite Liechtenstein win
- Greeks in Europe: Rough start to Champions League group stage for Greeks Abroad
- Olympiacos focused on positives after PSG defeat
- Olympiacos 1-4 Paris St. Germain: Motta brace breaks Olympiacos’ hearts
- Greece 1-0 Latvia: Salpingidis keeps Greece on track
- Arsenal keeping tabs on Olympiacos striker Kostas Mitroglou
K. Pap: I’ll score more goals than Huntelaar
- Updated: September 2, 2012
Kyriakos Papadopoulos says he will score more goals than Klaas Jan Huntelaar for Schalke this season, after netting the opener in his side’s 3-1 win over Augsburg.
The Greece international headed home powerfully from Jefferson Farfan’s 33rd minute corner, before goals from Jermaine Jones and Huntelaar sealed Schalke’s first Bundesliga victory of the season.
When told about Huntelaar’s prediction that the defender would net “four or five” goals during the campaign, Papadopoulos jokingly responded that he would “score more goals” than the Dutch striker.
At 20 years of age the former Olympiacos player has already established himself as a key player for Schalke following his move to the club two years ago.
He was the subject of persistent interest from AC Milan early in the summer and only a few days ago, Russian club Zenit St Petersburg bid €15 million for his services.
“There were two very good offers for me,” Papadopoulos confirmed. “But I talked a lot with my family, the coach and the Schalke management.
“I realized that the team believes in me. I feel very good here and I’m sure I’ve made the right decision [to stay].”