- Olympiacos 3-1 Anderlecht: Saviola brace helps Greek Champions clinch progress
- Greek Cup Preview: Super League clubs eye progress
- Greece await World Rankings, final play-off seedings
- Greece 2-0 Liechtenstein: Play-offs beckon for Greece despite Liechtenstein win
- Greeks in Europe: Rough start to Champions League group stage for Greeks Abroad
- Olympiacos focused on positives after PSG defeat
- Olympiacos 1-4 Paris St. Germain: Motta brace breaks Olympiacos’ hearts
- Greece 1-0 Latvia: Salpingidis keeps Greece on track
The five targets Olympiacos missed
- Updated: September 1, 2012
Olympiacos have confirmed they missed out on five high profile transfer targets as the deadline passed on Friday, with Nene, Ryan Babel and Ricardo Quaresma among them.
The reigning Greek Super League champions also failed to bring in Chesea’s Gael Kakuta and Arsenal’s Park Chu-Young, who instead moved on loan to Vitesse Arnhem and Celta Vigo respectively.
Kostas Karapapas – Olympiacos’ director of communications – confirmed in an interview with NovaSpor FM that moves were made for the aforementioned players; Nene staying with Paris Saint-Germain, Babel moving back to former club Ajax and Quaresma signing with Galatasaray.
While an agreement had been struck with Hoffenheim for Babel’s transfer, the Netherlands international wasn’t willing to play in Greece, with Park and Kakuta echoing similar sentiments.
Karapapas also confirmed that Olympiacos had agreed personal terms with Quaresma, though he was unable to secure a release from Besiktas.
Paris Saint-Germain winger Nene meanwhile opted to remain with the cashed-up French club after they demanded a €5,000,000 fee for the Brazilian.
Following the departure of talisman Kevin Mirallas to Everton, Leonardo Jardim’s failure to bolster his attacking ranks comes as a huge blow, with Olympiacos set to embark upon another UEFA Champions League campaign.
The club also lost first-choice centre-back Olof Mellberg, though managed to keep hold of Greece international Vasilis Torosidis for another season.