- Olympiacos 3-1 Anderlecht: Saviola brace helps Greek Champions clinch progress
- Greek Cup Preview: Super League clubs eye progress
- Greece await World Rankings, final play-off seedings
- Greece 2-0 Liechtenstein: Play-offs beckon for Greece despite Liechtenstein win
- Greeks in Europe: Rough start to Champions League group stage for Greeks Abroad
- Olympiacos focused on positives after PSG defeat
- Olympiacos 1-4 Paris St. Germain: Motta brace breaks Olympiacos’ hearts
- Greece 1-0 Latvia: Salpingidis keeps Greece on track
Starring role for Kapetanos, Samaras
- Updated: August 30, 2012
Pantelis Kapetanos and Giorgos Samaras played an important role in their respective side’s progress to the UEFA Champions League group stage on Wednesday night.
Following up last week’s 2-1 defeat of Basel, Cluj completed the triumph with a 1-0 victory in the second leg as Kapetanos’ first half breakthrough was enough to send the Romanians through 3-1 on aggregate.
Meanwhile, over in Scotland, Samaras was again at the center of his side’s success as Celtic replicated their 2-0 triumph over Helsingborg in Glasgow. Samaras played a vital role in Gary Hooper’s opener at Celtic Park — the Greek international playing set-up man as Hooper put Celtic ahead on the half hour mark.
Both Celtic and Cluj will join the line-up for the group stage draw, which takes place tomorrow (18.45 GR, Novasports1) in Monaco.