- Greek Cup Preview: Super League clubs eye progress
- Greece await World Rankings, final play-off seedings
- Greece 2-0 Liechtenstein: Play-offs beckon for Greece despite Liechtenstein win
- Greeks in Europe: Rough start to Champions League group stage for Greeks Abroad
- Olympiacos focused on positives after PSG defeat
- Olympiacos 1-4 Paris St. Germain: Motta brace breaks Olympiacos’ hearts
- Greece 1-0 Latvia: Salpingidis keeps Greece on track
- Arsenal keeping tabs on Olympiacos striker Kostas Mitroglou
OFFICIAL: Olympiacos confirm Contreras capture
- Updated: August 19, 2012
Greek Champions Olympiacos have shored up their back-line with the acquisition of Chilean defender Pablo Contreras on a transfer from Colo-Colo that is said to be worth a reported €200.000.
The Chilean defender arrived in Athens late in the evening on Thursday, at which point he met up with Olympiacos officials at the club’s headquarters in Alexandra Square. The former PAOK defender signed a two-year contract with the Super League titleholders, a move that is likely to upset PAOK fans — who originally views Contreras as a fan favourite because of his service at the Toumba Stadium.
A press release on Olympiacos’ official website confirmed the transfer, “Olympiacos FC announce the acquisition of the player Pablo Contreras for the next two years,” read the announcement on www.olympiacos.org.
Leaving the club’s offices just past midnight, Contreras gave a short interview — his first as an Olympiacos player. “I would like to thank Olympiacos very much for giving me the opportunity to compete at the club,” said and ecstatic Contreras.
“I am very happy and eager to [wear] the Olympiacos shirt. It was an easy decision for me because Olympiacos is a well-known club in Europe, and one you simply cannot refuse,” Contreras explained of his transfer to the Port City — something he’ll likely have to do against when his new exployers face PAOK in the league.
Contreras’ arrival provides cover in the center-back position following the departure of Olof Mellberg to Villarreal and Abraham Papadopoulos to long-tern injury.
Contreras, a veteran of his trade, outs expected to partner up with either Dimitris Siovas or Kostas Manolas in the heart of the Olympiacos defense.