- Greek Cup Preview: Super League clubs eye progress
- Greece await World Rankings, final play-off seedings
- Greece 2-0 Liechtenstein: Play-offs beckon for Greece despite Liechtenstein win
- Greeks in Europe: Rough start to Champions League group stage for Greeks Abroad
- Olympiacos focused on positives after PSG defeat
- Olympiacos 1-4 Paris St. Germain: Motta brace breaks Olympiacos’ hearts
- Greece 1-0 Latvia: Salpingidis keeps Greece on track
- Arsenal keeping tabs on Olympiacos striker Kostas Mitroglou
OFFICIAL: Fortuna Dusseldorf unveil Malezas
- Updated: July 31, 2012
After weeks of speculation about his future at PAOK, Stelios Malezas has made the move abroad as Fortuna Dusseldorf have agreed to bring the Greek international on board following a physical on Monday…
PAOK will have a big hole to fill in their defensive line as veteran center-back Stelios Malezas has joined German side Fortuna Dusseldorf, the second Greek to join the newly promoted Bundesliga club this summer after Nikos Papadopoulos signed on at the ESPRITArena earlier this month.
An official release on Fortuna’s website confirmed the acquistion, which was completed on Monday after Malezas had arrived in Germany over the weekend. “Fortuna Dusseldorf have strengthened for the coming season with the acquisition of defender Stelios Malezas. The 27-year-old has signed a two-year contract with the Red White and gets the number “4″ jersey,” read the announcement on www.fortuna-dusseldorf.de.
The transfer will cost Fortuna a reported €450.000, but that fee could rise to €500.000 if Fortuna manages to avoid relegation this season.
The Greek international failed to feature for his country at the recent UEFA EURO 2012 final tournament in Poland and Ukraine, but has been a key figure in PAOK’s recent European campaigns. Malezas made 129 appearances for PAOK in the Greek top flight, eventually becoming a crucial part of the Dikefale tou Vorra’s back-line.
Malezas is the second defender to leave the Thessaloniki club in recent weeks, although Kostas Stafylidis’ transfer to Bayer Leverkusen included the option for PAOK to keep the Ethniki Neon star on loan for the upcoming season. Negotiations between PAOK and Fortuna might not be complete, however, as influential forward Dimitris Salpingidis is expected to follow Malezas to Germany.